Saturday, October 30, 2010

PCV Visit

Hola mis amigos!

Sorry my blog has been few and far between but I have been pretty busy and have limited internet time. So I have now been here for more than three weeks, and things are still AWESOME. I have really been picking up on spanish and actually for the first time in life, love my spanish class! The Peace Corps uses Non Formal Education approach and it really fits my learning style. Also, lets be honest, I talk, a lot.....even in Spanish and even when I butcher the language. But I am realizing the more that I talk the more I pick up. I just really appreciate my Tico family for being so kind and supportative and most of all patient. For those of you who do not know the term ¨tico¨is what you call the people of costa rica so I will use that term alot. Another phrase that is used alot here in ¨Pura <vida¨which means pure life, but is pretty much the catch phrase of costa rica that somes up costa rica...it can be used as greetings, good byes, saying something is fun etc. etc. PURA VIDA BABY!

So lets see...what is new in my life. Well first of all last Wednesday I got to see the president of Costa Rica, Laura Chinchua....and was literally standing front row! I will be posting pics soon. It was at a church and was for the centinial of the town Acosta which is my neighboring town and the ¨"big city" of my area. It was a ton of fun but totally different than america. First of all her security consisted of one dog and about three body guards. While people were giving speaches, including her....everybody was talking, not paying attention and just hanging out. A very different cultural aspect. Also throughout the speakers kids would just run up to the president and hug her...it was pretty cool. Apparently the president has a very high rating, but i have seldom talked to anyone who really likes her, including my family. But regardless of beliefs it was a wonderful experience and I am thankful to have it!

Right now I am chillin in Cartago and waiting for the bus to go to San Cristobol Norte to have a 4 day visit with a volunteer. This is my first solo adventure and I am excited to experience and see what the daily life of a Volunteer is like. Right now, I am considered a Trainee and will be sworn in as a Volunteer on December 17th and move to my permanent site. Training consists on spanish classes and classes on community econmic development, clutlre and teaching english as a foreign language....all which have been helpful. I love training because I have lucked out with great other trainees in my community and in my group. My spanish class has 4 people in it including me.The other peeps are guys.  Brad, a married 50 who is an amazing great man from Indiana. Taylor, one of my best guy friends from Tennassee who is definitly my kind of people, and O Tyler and great guy from New York. We call our groupe the ¨tigres¨and are always having good times.

Well I hope to be posting more pics soon, and have a bunch posted on facebook. The only thing I don´t like about Costa Rica is that my friends and family are not here with me. I was sad to have missed my best friends birthday, but know Kendy is rockin it in america. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BFF! Love and miss you all and appreciate your support.

Pura Vida,

Michaela

1 comment: