Monday, October 18, 2010

HACE FRIO



DAY 9

Well I have done it. I have mastered showering and shaving my legs with freezing cold water. It is difficult, but I definitely have it down, which is good because a girl can only go so long without shaving her legs…and it was time.  showering ends up being more like a sponge bath, but it works. The trick is when washing your hair, to put your head down so all the cold water runs off you NOT on your body. Showering here is a very different experience. THe shower is just a pipe that was cut off and it runs into the ground, and the drain is only a hole in the side of the wall. WHen done showering you have to sweep the water out of the hole  and it goes  directly outside. I am down with cold showers when its hot, but since it is "winter" here it is never too hot. Not cold, but definitely not hot. I will now always appreciate a warm shower.

ANyways….life is going good. Its hard not being able to communicate everything I want, but I am still managing to fit in. I just watched the movie "vampires suck" with my sister and cousin and it was really funny. I was trying to explain to them the inside jokes about america but had trouble. We still had a good time and laughed a lot. It is only 8:30 but I am soooo tired. My house is literally right next to a huge chicken coop and they don't just cock a doodle do at sunrise but ALL THE TIME. Its annoying, but I am learning to tune them out. My host mom asked if the "screaming dog" woke me up last night, bit luckily it didn't. Oh and another funny thing was today I had class with the rest of the volunteers and one of them told me that he stopped by to look for me and he asked my madre to tell me he stopped by and my moms response was, I will try but she probably wont understand" and sure enough I didn't. Hahaha oh man, I can't wait until I speak good spanish! Ecspecially so I can talk to my family! They are great when I can only understand them half of the time so I imagine how wonderful they really are when you can fully have a conversation. One day it will happen…

But for now, Pura Vida

Michaela 

1 comment:

  1. hi sweetie, i hate cold showers! am very sorry! I feel so proud for you! I have been so worried about you, i am glad i got to talk w/you. skype today, it was like it was meant to be! here you call kendra, she was bringing me back my phone, we got to sobe u and talk to you, it was fait i was wearing the it's a small world! im so proud of you-mic! Hang in there! 2 weeks down!

    ReplyDelete