Saturday, November 6, 2010

more rain...less school

November 4th

Well I hate to report that it is still raining and it has caused soooo much damage around costa rica. at least 25 have been killed by flash floods and landslides and countless people have lost homes, cars, animals and belongings. Today we lost water and electricity and so did pretty much the whole country. Many roads are closed because of landslides and the busses did not run today. It is suppose to continue raining for the next 18 hours, and all I can hope is that no more lives are lost. Peace Corps has put all of the volunteers on "Standfast", which just means stay in your community and be prepared to leave if things continue to get worse and dangerous.  Luckily I am in a house with a great location that is not in danger of landslides, although that is not the case for others in my community. Today since class was canceled I took a walk and was dismayed to find many houses flooded and covered in mud. The community has really banded together and many have come to the aid of others, trying to clear everything, water and mud out of the houses affected. Rio Jorco is now a raging muddy river filled with sediment, trash, and trees. School is canceled for the rest of the week and our all volunteer picnic in San Jose is also canceled. Basically everyone is stuck where they are, hopefully by next monday transportation can resume and so can life. I will report back when I can, and hopefully can post these some time soon when I have internet access. Peace out.

Pura Vida

Michaela 

No comments:

Post a Comment